Monday, March 31, 2008

Week Nine - PODCASTS, VIDEO AND DOWNLOADABLE AUDIO

Thing #22 - Explore eBooks and Audio eBooks

Well this was an eye opener. I did not know how much was available for free online as far as eBooks go. There were some really interesting links to podcasts that were more appeal ling than the ones I found in the previous discovery exercise on podcasts - I can see how it all comes together!

I can see putting a link to say Peter Pan or The Wizard of Oz on my libraries website, especially in conjunction with a "Spotlight on the Classics" link I have on the site that gets changed every month or so.

I also explored some school catalogs who had their catalogs available on the web, and several I checked out do have Audio Books. I know for my own children, we have checked out audio books from the public library occasionally to listen to a book. The most recent time comes to mind when my 9 year old desperately wanted to read the Percy Jackson and the Olympian series but it was a bit over his reading level. Well, come to find out its out there in audio book form and our public library had a copy of each book in the series. My son became an expert in utilizing his library and reference librarian who helped him put his audiobooks on hold. Pretty great.

In the previous library I worked at, we did have a good collection of audio books that did get checked out. I can see the appeal for a car ride and ELL and special ed students.

I have been watching the introduction of Playalongs this past year with interest. I'm hoping the price comes down a little. They seem like a good thing and I would like to buy a few for next year to try out (if we get any money to buy books with due to the budget crisis). We'll see! Maybe I can stir up some interest with eBook links on my website and get some funding from Parent's Club.

Also, I like the Library 2.0 team's suggestion from my last posting about having the kids come in to make a podcast say a couple of times of month. It would be great exposure for the library. This is definitely something I can work on logistically during the last couple of weeks before I leave for summer break and inventory is done!

No comments: